Dilan Baron

I create large-scale self-portrait drawings using charcoal and graphite on paper. These drawings are meticulously rendered and specifically staged that uses dramatic and gestural poses or compositions as well as visceral symbolism as a focus for both personal and universal narratives. I create my self-portrait drawings out of a compulsion to document eternal thoughts of emotions from the mind. Ways of coming into a new lens and experiencing change. By using the traditional medium of charcoal on paper, I purposefully go through the meticulous process of handling charcoal to work around every mark that is made, good or bad, leaving the emotion each time my hand touches the paper. Before I begin a work of mine, I plan, sketch, revise, and make multiples of my work over and over in my mind for a while. I take photographs, edit the appearance in photoshop, and arrange subject matter in my mind before I begin. By the time I actually start the piece, the hard part is over. It is only then when I can truly start to change how I see myself. How I look at things from a different perspective.

dilanbaronart.com
@djb_artwork

Dimensions of a Self Portrait, 2021, charcoal and graphite on paper, 22 x 30 inches
Dimensions of a Self Portrait [Phase 2], 2021, charcoal and graphite on paper, 22 x 30 inches
Focus, 2019, charcoal on paper, 18 x 24 inches
You and I [Self Portrait], 2018, charcoal and graphite on paper, 24 x 32 inches
How did we get here? What do I feel?, 2019, charcoal on paper, 36 x 96 inches
I Feel, 2019, charcoal on paper, 36 x 42 inches
“I know faces, because I look through the fabric my own eye weaves, and behold the reality beneath”, 2019, charcoal on paper, 30 x 42 inches