Jada Webb

I am an artists and illustrator who makes animated collage pieces that integrate the human form with fictional fauna. My compositions are made by means of frame-by-frame 2D animation that is then layered with traditional hand made ink washes. All three individually made animations are then composited side by side to form the foreground and the monochrome ink washes are layered and animated together to form the background. The inclusion of movement contributes more depth in my works and makes the artwork an interactive piece instead of simply flat. Recently my work focuses on body, language, and identity through nature, subverted expectations, and augmentation of the human form. My works open a narrative of confusing invitation. The plants within the art are serene and captivating, while the body language between the figures and silhouette is tense and/or melancholy. This push and pull of pleasant and unpleasant is the duality I want my audience to connect with. Visually my work shares similarities with the works of Kara Walker, Nick Cave, and Yinka Shonibare, though my art centers on the idea of outward depictions of inner, intrusive, thoughts more than the depiction of historical African identity. The reason I make artwork is to express my desire physically and visually for a bridge between the real world and fiction. Merging of these two concepts is important because it gives me a way to explore and expand narrative on the human subconscious. Things that happen within our minds don’t always line up with how the real world is intended to work.

dallywagcomms.wixsite.com/portfolio