Nadia Rhudy

I practically grew up in a car — being shuttled between cities, parks, and schools throughout my childhood. This body of work, Strange Encounters, focuses on the odd and specific relationships that are forged between people, animals, and the road. In this series of prints, I explore the contradictions of the road: a place that can be peaceful and yet also deeply violent– a place where animals can hurt us just as easily as we hurt them. Strange Encounters plays with how traveling long distances can warp our senses and our perceptions of time and space.

The sculptures of Beth Cavener and the photographs of Brendon Burton influenced and informed the way I conceptualized this body of work. Strange Encounters depicts some animals caught in unusual, almost humanlike behaviors, similar to Beth Cavener’s ceramic work — her sculptures often blur the lines between human and animal behaviors. Brendon Burton’s influence surfaces in the dreamlike environments of the prints — many of his photographs capture mysterious, slightly off-putting places, which have similar dreamlike qualities to the prints in Strange Encounters.

This series of prints asks viewers to examine more closely the ways they interact with the environment, and what kinds of narratives they construct about their relationships with the places and animals around them.

nadiarhudy.wordpress.com
@pomodoridoodles

Your Innocence Will Not Save You, 2021, mezzotint & drypoint on copper, 22 x 15 inches
Your Innocence Will Not Save You (detail), 2021, mezzotint & drypoint on copper, 22 x 15 inches
Acts of Violence, 2021, mezzotint & drypoint on copper, 22 x 15 inches
Acts of Violence (detail), 2021, mezzotint & drypoint on copper, 22 x 15 inches
Coyote, 2021, mezzotint & drypoint on copper, 15 x 22 inches
Coyote (detail), 2021, mezzotint & drypoint on copper, 15 x 22 inches
CATHEDRAL I, 2021, mezzotint & drypoint on copper, 22 x 15 inches
CATHEDRAL I (detail), 2021, mezzotint & drypoint on copper, 22 x 15 inches
Nightwalker I, 2021, mezzotint & drypoint on copper, 9 x 9 inches
Nightwalker I (detail), 2021, mezzotint & drypoint on copper, 9 x 9 inches