Rachel Tucker

Embodiment

The body can form and generate movement in ways that can relate to space and its surroundings. Embodiment is an ongoing project that focuses on the body’s gestural motion and formal interaction. As the body moves, space and time are continually changing. My experimental work in photography explores the form and abstractions of the body. By manipulating long exposures and black and white photography, I can capture a sort of distorted reality. In these representations, the figure halts between bodily movements. Sometimes the image is blurred, while other times, it is perfectly focused. I like to call this the “in-between,” where the body seizes in this unknown and transforming moment.

I am continuously pursuing this exploration of the body. The way it moves. The way it forms. The ways it abstracts. I am exploring its experiences, its space, its “in-betweenness.” While the body is constantly in motion both internally and externally, we may not realize it. Our bodies are continually speaking to us, consciously and unconsciously, though we may not recognize that either. This project has become a representation of my personal experience through a hyperaware state of exploring spatial forms of and in the body.

Embodiment is an exploration of questions. How can the body be abstracted? What are the psychological and emotional aspects? How does photographing the body affect the way we feel towards it? What are the body’s limitations? Furthermore, what are the camera’s boundaries, and how does it affect the body?

rachelevelyn.co

Are you where you want to be?, 2021, archival inkjet print, 30 x 40 inches
Is it fear that keeps me here?, 2020, archival inkjet print, 30 x 20 inches
What are you trying to tell me?, 2021, archival inkjet print, 20 x 30 inches
Who are we?, 2020, archival inkjet print, 30 x 20 inches
Can you hear me?, 2021, archival inkjet print, 30 x 40 inches
Am I here?, 2020, archival inkjet print, 20 x 30 inches
What is in between?, 2021, archival inkjet print, 30 x 20 inches
How can I detach?, 2020, archival inkjet print, 20 x 30 inches
Where am I going?, 2021, archival inkjet print, 30 x 20 inches
Will you stay with me?, 2020, archival inkjet print, 30 x 20 inches