Sid Nyman

As a metalsmith, I am inspired by geometry, architecture, and alternate perspectives. In my work, I create organic body sculptures by using inorganic materials to emphasize the natural beauty of light. Although the pieces are worn on the body, the larger interaction will be when the pieces are off the body and used as devices to frame the physical world around us, much in the way artists use view finders to determine the composition of a painting or drawing. These pieces will allow immediate access to an alternate way of viewing our surroundings. Like James Turrell, I want to intensify natural light by suspending portals to create colored lenses. These wearable art forms use either human-made fluorescent acrylic and nylon fishing line, or materials from the earth such as silver, copper and precious stones. With the use of laser-cut acrylic disks, I intend to reflect light through chaotically placed bubbles to give the illusion of holes through reality. I use fishing line to illustrate the idea that the bubbles are connected in structure, but independent in their respective places and enhance space rather than occupy space. The series made from silver frames with copper beams create a nest for a variety of stones; this allows the viewer to observe their surroundings through negative spaces to experience live picture frames. When the piece is held up for viewing, the open spaces between the silver and copper result in color-blocking of the selected environment. Stones are used to break up the frame and create focal points of energy that act as the heart of the structure. As an artist, I want to create alternate perspectives to enhance the world around us. These pieces allow the wearer to experience life with a fresh new perspective.

Cluster, 2020, fluorescent acrylic, nylon fishing line, silver, 6.5 x 3.5 x 1.5 inches
Cosmo&Wanda, 2020, fluorescent acrylic, nylon fishing line, silver, 6 x 4.5 x 2 inches
Skeletal Frames 1, 2021, silver, copper, 2 x 1.125 x 0.25 inches
Skeletal Frames 2, 2021, silver, copper, 1 x 1 x 0.25 inches
Skeletal Frames 3, 2021, silver, copper, 2.5 x 1.5 x 0.25 inches